Saxum Booker Vineyard 2016
|Region||California, Central Coast, Paso Robles|
Jeb DunnuckFlirting with perfection, the 2016 Booker Vineyard is a classic bruiser from this vineyard that has overflowing notes of blackberries, blackcurrants, smoked earth, and violets. Checking in as 73% Syrah and 27% Mourvèdre (13% stems) brought up new barrels, it hits the balance with full-bodied richness, incredible purity of fruit, ultra-fine tannins, and a finish that won’t quit. If you’re lucky enough to have a few bottles, do you best to hide them in the cellar for 2-3 years.
Wine AdvocateA blend of 73% Syrah and 27% Mataro, the 2016 Booker Vineyard is another of the wines that Justin Smith gives an extended élevage-this year with 60% in new puncheons and the remaining 40% in large amphorae. It's harvested in two tranches: the first and larger pick is the south-facing slope that's exclusively Syrah and entirely destemmed, the second pick being the north-facing slope that includes both some Mataro and some whole cluster. The wine opens in the glass with a brooding bouquet of grilled meat, bay leaf and dark, plummy fruit, followed by a full-bodied, concentrated wine with great depth and tension but plenty of chewy tannin that is going to need some time to resolve. Everything points to it being absolutely superb.